Yesterday was talking to someone about someone (gossip yes I know). Anyway this person referred to another who had recently suffered a medical misfortune. Not super serious but enough to be concerned about. SO anyway the person I was talking to said that a fourth person had suggested that the person who had the misfortune had it because she chose to work on a Sunday. Normally I would scoff at such a comment and continue on my way. How dumb -There are millions of people who work on Sundays. Why are they not all sick?
The reason this comment has stuck with me is because if someone was punished for a perceived sin by having a medical misfortune what the HELL am I being punished for? I hate how hard it is to understand life and church doctrine. There does not seem to be sense to anything.
Lately I have been trying to figure out why bad thing happen to good people. At church we are told that nothing comes into our life that is not for our ultimate good. We read the bible which has examples of people who suffer for their "sins."
I think we interpret all kinds of crap to mean whatever suits us.
My therapist says that people look for reason that bad things happen to others so they can take precautions to avoid similar situations in their own lives. She is the only person who has made logical sense to me regarding this matter.
Next time you think you know "why" something bad happened think before you speak. Chances are you have no idea.
You are not being punished, I promise you, even though at times it sure may feel like it. I know you don't blog so others can try to solve your grief, and I'm not. I did just read a great article though, that touches on this very thing. If you're interested.
ReplyDeleteHere's an exert."I have often pondered, Why is it that the Son of God and His holy prophets and all the faithful Saints have trials and tribulations, even when they are trying to do Heavenly Father’s will? Why is it so hard, especially for them?"
The Article is called "Waiting upon the Lord:Thy Will Be Done" by: Robert D. Hales and is on lds.org